Gn15 layout for a clay processing stockpile

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Robert
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model railroads in H0e, Gn15, 2m

Gn15 layout for a clay processing stockpile

Postby Robert » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Here is my first Gn15 layout (work in progress):

The purpose of the small railroad is serving the clay processing stockpile of a brickworks (this is more prototypical for the given layout including the trestle than the originally plan which was a dumping ground for ashes).

Brickworks often could not use the mined clay directly, because it was not homogenous or smooth enough. In that case, that batch of clay was dumped into a stockpile where it was processed by wind, rain, temperature changes and the help of microorganisms until it was ready for usage. Depending on the structure of the unprocessed clay and the needed throughput, it was either just an open pit, a closed pit or a heated basement.

The track layout is similar to Carl Arendts SFER, but is more streched and measures 25x50 cm (10x20 inch).

The operating concept is:

1. The tipping wagon is loaded inside a small shed (the foundation walls can be seen the on the upper left of the picture)
  2. The locomotive pulls the wagon on the sector plate (upper right)
  3. The tipping wagon is pushed on the trestle where the contents are automatically dumped to the front of the layout
  4. After the clay is processed, it is loaded on tipping wagons again using an excavator or wheel loader (that part is not included in the layout, but could be an extension connected to the track ending on the front)

The purpose of the trestle is making it easier to keep the tracks clean of dirt.

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 pm

Here are some details on what is already built:

The pylons of the trestle are made of a wooden core, coated with 1:22 bricks. I used prefabricated filler for tile seams, which dries much slower than plaster. However, it is really hard to remove when dry.

The tracks are made of 4x6 mm strips of wood for the sleepers and OO gauge rails nailed down using O gauge rail spikes. The rails were painted using rust colored paint before nailing them into place.

Next part: trestle and sector plate...

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 pm

this looks very promising!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi Robert, Great work on the layout. Your brickwork is just like some of the industrial stuff I have seen in full-size. The industry brickies never cleaned the bricks off afterwards either :wink:

When you are ready to do the loader extension have a look here:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=4467 Unfortunately deleted by over enthusiastic moderator!
They are a fun bit of gear to drive. The only modification that you would need to make is to seal up the gearboxes to prevent clay getting in. This could be easily done with some sheet styrene held on the the outside of the gear boxes with silastic or something similar.

Welcome aboard, you are already off to a great start.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:58 am

Very nice track. One day I'll need to build up courage to make my own...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 pm

After a busy week without time for my favourite hobby, I finally had the time to complete the sector plate and the electrical installation.

The sector plate is operated manually and uses a simple spring mounted lever which catches a nail in the baseboard at every track (this both adjusts the track ends and fixes the sector plate for transport:

The power supply cables run through the hollow axle of the sector plate. The sector plate is fixed in place by a retaining collar:

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Robert, I like the way you have used the spring to align the sector plate it looks very simple and very effective. Could you post a few more pictures of it.

Simon.

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:46 pm

You took the words out of my mouth Simon..
Andy in Stuttgart

More railway misadventures on:

www.korschtal.wordpress.com

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:55 am

Robert the spring alignment idea is brilliant, yes fill us in with some more details of you idea.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Simon Andrews wrote:Robert, I like the way you have used the spring to align the sector plate it looks very simple and very effective. Could you post a few more pictures of it.

Simon.

I can't take a photo right now, but here is a drawing of the spring:

A short piece of 3x2 mm brass is soldered on one of the sleepers. The spring is glued into a hole in the brass block (this is the easiest way to fix the spring to the track). The spring is bent so that it lies a few 10ths of millimeters above the baseboard. The nails in the baseboard stick out approximately 2 mm, so they are long enough to catch the spring but short enough to allow for clearance of the sleepers of the track (2.5 mm above the baseboard).

The spring can be bent using the lever either in radial direction of the sector plate or up/down to move the sector plate.

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:26 pm

I made a lot of progress today, and here is the result of blood, sweat and tears. Well, actually blood and a lot of swearing after I managed to cut into one of my fingers :cry:

The deck of the trestle bridge is made of polystyrene I-beams (a buffer stop is missing but will be added later):

The floor of the shed:

The first walls of the shed:

The screw terminals at the back of the layout are the power supply for the layout (I am using DCC to get both sound and multi-engine operation on the same track, and since the sector plate is moved manually, there is no other electrical installation; maybe lighting will be added later).

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:30 pm

shed is looking good
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Gnice job on the Floor Robert, The layout is coming along very well.
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:16 pm

I decided to scrap the walls of the shed (they were looking too clumsy) and rebuilt it using thinner strips of wood. Now the wooden part of the shed is almost finished:

The door of the shed is just big enough for a tipping wagon to pass through. The backside of the shed stays open to allow loading the wagons manually:

Next part: painting and adding roof tiles...[/img]

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:27 pm

I like that shed, really well built.
*Insert witty signature here*

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Robert, this is coming along very nicely.

You have gone to a lot of trouble, even detailing the inside of the shed, that will not be seen. :shock:

Can I ask what the smaller opening above the main door in the shed is for?

Also what are you planning to use to represent the clay?

Glen.

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Glen A wrote:Can I ask what the smaller opening above the main door in the shed is for?

The smaller opening is for a window.

Glen A wrote:Also what are you planning to use to represent the clay?

Don't know yet, maybe plasticine. At least the color would be right - whatever color you bought, you tend to end up with a brown-gray mixture anyways ;-) Or even real modeling clay mixed with more or less soil (it might be necessary to loosen up the mixture before loading).

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Now the shed is painted using diluted gray wood stain:

[/img]

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 pm

More progress: the shed is now weathered using weathering powder and has a window made of polypropylene multi-wall glass:

The fences are made from linden wood. The walls are made from wood covered in tiling filler, which gets a rough surface when brushed half-dried. The color is sulfur yellow weathering powder:

The roof tiling is made from polystyrene, painted with a special color that looks like granite when dry:

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 am

Robert,

You are making exceptional progress here, and your results are stunning.

I would just ask; what is your intended use when finished? Is it just for you, or for public display?
It all looks quite believable, and if it is just for you then this is great.

However if you are intending it for display, then could I suggest you check the height you intend to display it at, as that high fence could be problem as it blocks much of the view of the train travelling into the loading shed.

Glen

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:06 am

Robert,

Sorry for not replying sooner :oops: Thanks for the diagram of the sector plate spring :D You have made great progress since I last visited this thread. The shed and fencing look really effective.

Simon.

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Glen A wrote:However if you are intending it for display, then could I suggest you check the height you intend to display it at, as that high fence could be problem as it blocks much of the view of the train travelling into the loading shed.
Glen

I didn't build it with public display in mind - the primary purpose is trying out micro layout building. However, since the layout is so small, I would either display it below eye level (so one can look over the fence) or put it on a turntable - so the viewer can turn the layout 180 degrees to switch between front and rear side and operate the layout (I should better build the buffer stops then...).

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:34 pm

The missing actual front side view (the photo taken yesterday was blurred...):

dwhellum
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 1/20.3 narrow gauge railways c/w gn15 railway industries

Postby dwhellum » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:42 am

excellent work there, however I noticed your workshop is very tidy. :shock: Are you sure it was manufactured there? mine would never be that tidy even when its clean :lol:
Every day you wake up is a good one.

Robert
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Robert » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:39 pm

After two busy weeks, I finally had time for some more work. The tracks are now ballasted with a mixture of various types of fine sand, colored with weathering powder:

I also started building a crab apple tree. The core is made of soldered copper wires, which will then be coated using gauze bandage and filler:

Return to “Modelling Matters”