Struppe Storage Battery Locos of Lainz/Vienna

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Struppe Storage Battery Locos of Lainz/Vienna

Postby mad gerald » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi all,

Struppe storage battery locos are running on the 500mm tracks of the Geriatriezentrum am Wienerwald/Lainz in Vienna, Austria as a supply railway. The engineer Mr. Ing. Struppe was a former co-worker of GEBUS locomotive works, running later his own mechanical engineering company until the midnineties, which also built these hardly known storage battery locos shown on my website and on the WWW:

http://www.schmalspur-europa.at/schmalsp_50.htm

Looking for a new example for modelling while surfing the WWW, I stumbled over this storage battery locos built by Struppe. I created this card board prototype for a proportion check. The styrene version will follow as soon as I got enough information:

You are invited to visit my Gn15 Blog for more pictures and later more information ... :P

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:46 am

Nice work Gerald. Are these the locos that delivered food within hospitals? I remember reading an article about 500mm gauge hospital railways in Vienna years ago in the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Review.

Look forward to an update.
Les

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:43 am

Les wrote:Are these the locos that delivered food within hospitals?

Yes, they are ... and the guys were able to deliver aprox. 3600 meals within 40 minutes using this locos. They tried once to use vans instead, but it did not work ... :D

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:22 am

Wie immer "erstklassig"!!

I know the RR and have some great prototype pictures,including the inside of the building.Let me know if there is interest in the group and I will dig them out and post them.

Greetings

Chris :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:19 am

chris69 wrote:Wie immer "erstklassig"!!

I know the RR and have some great prototype pictures,including the inside of the building.Let me know if there is interest in the group and I will dig them out and post them.

Danke für das Kompliment ... :D
Ich schaue mir Deine Baufortschritte auch gerne an!

You REALLY have some prototype pictures of this feldbahn ... I am VERY interested ... :!: ... and I guess some more members also ... aren't you? :P

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:48 am

Do you have a photo with the figure in front of the loco Gerald?
Looking at the ones posted here and on your blog, I think your model might be a bit big, but it could be just the postition of the figure that gives that idea. I would estimate the height at around 2 metres, possibly a bit less.
If you look closely at the photo below linked from the INGR site, the figure stood up in the doorway, it should give you a good idea of the height, the floor would not be far from the top of the rail, probably less than 20cm.

Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Steve,

Steve Bennett wrote:Do you have a photo with the figure in front of the loco Gerald?

yes, in the meantime I had a look at plenty of pictures, mainly in austrian fora/from austrian modelling mates. The height (of the cab) is about 1950mm. I'm still waiting for the correct measures. The older AEG akkuloks reach a height of about 2000mm. Sure this loco will be at "the limit" of 15" gauge - but on "this side" (if necessary I would lower the roof a tiny bit as an ultima ratio) ... :D

The locos are running on 500mm track (is that what you call 18"?), it might run on 15" as well (regauged), when I look at photos showing "the inner parts".

The company GEBUS former company of Mr. Ing. Struppe built a loco for the 381mm "Praterbahn" in Vienna as well ...

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:20 pm

mad gerald wrote:Hi Steve,

Steve Bennett wrote:Do you have a photo with the figure in front of the loco Gerald?

yes, in the meantime I had a look at plenty of pictures, mainly in austrian fora/from austrian modelling mates. The height (of the cab) is about 1950mm. I'm still waiting for the correct measures. The older AEG akkuloks reach a height of about 2000mm. Sure this loco will be at "the limit" of 15" gauge - but on "this side" (if necessary I would lower the roof a tiny bit as an ultima ratio) ... :D

Thats OK, it looked a lot bigger than that in your photo, with the figure behind :wink: No need to reduce the height, 2000mm would be fine for 15" gauge :) . Did you notice, the more modern enclosed cab on the AEG (left) looks lower than the Struppe (right) :?:

The locos are running on 500mm track (is that what you call 18"?), it might run on 15" as well (regauged), when I look at photos showing "the inner parts".

500mm is almost 20 inches, 18 inch gauge is about 450mm (457mm) but who is counting a few millimetres :lol:

The company GEBUS former company of Mr. Ing. Struppe built a loco for the 381mm "Praterbahn" in Vienna as well ...

Not heard of that one. Would be interested to see some pictures if you find some :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:50 pm

... I'm not quite sure about the height of the "upgraded" AEG loco ... but this one, put as a kind of "monument" at the entrance of the hospital measures 2000mm in height :

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Narrow_gauge_railroad_-_Geriatriezentrum_Lainz_15.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Narrow_gauge_railroad_-_Geriatriezentrum_Lainz_14.jpg

- a modelling mate in vienna proved it 2 days ago, but he did not manage to get exact measures of the Struppe loco ...

As you can see on the first mentioned photo the drivers where even enbaled to stand upright (-> wooden lathes on the ground plate) ... and there are some other (historical) photos showing upright driving engineers ...

Regarding the Liliputbahn in the PRater in Viena my be this website can help: http://www.liliputbahn.com/eng/donau_daten.htm and http://www.liliputbahn.com/daten.htm ... the blue one is build by GEBUS ...

EDIT: Steve "eagle eye" :D - you wrote: "I think your model might be a bit big, but it could be just the postition of the figure that gives that idea." I just got my ruler: my model's height is appprox. 85mm + a few millimetres regarding the power unit/bogie ... so it is the figure's position
Last edited by mad gerald on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Gerald,
as promised here are the pictures I have or the Hospital RR including the interior track plan.

Well enjoy

Greetings
Chris :shock: :lol: 8)

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks a lot, Chris!

I very much appreciate your support! :D :D :D
I never saw a track plan of this railway in english language ... and the waggons are painted silver (or white?)! :shock:

@Steve Bennett: Just watch the photo showing the AEG loco #1 with an upright standing driver ... :shock: :D

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 pm

mad gerald wrote:@Steve Bennett: Just watch the photo showing the AEG loco #1 with an upright standing driver ... :shock: :D

:lol: That should make you happy :wink:
As you said in an earlier message, a height of 85mm is perfect. High enough for a standing figure and to look right on the narrow track.
Only problem I see, is being able to cut the Bachmann Trolley/Streetcar enough to leave the cab empty.

Rather than a seperate post, thanks Chris for posting your photo's. Great to see them as I have had an interest in this line for many years. Not as a modelling project, but it is a very interesting and unique prototype.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:53 pm

I like the different locos that have worked the line down the years. Very interesting 8)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi Gerald,
I think they are a very lite Grey or off white with sliver (aluminum)containers

"... and the wagons are painted silver (or white?)!"

@Steve,
I believe sometimes it is better for the existing thread to expand a bit(within reason),rather then to start a new one and create a whole mess about the same subject .

Greetings to all

Chris :roll: :shock: :shock: 8)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:32 pm

chris69 wrote:I think they are a very lite Grey or off white with sliver (aluminum)containers

I'm pretty sure, the containers would be stainless steel, as they are used to transport food. Guess they could be considered as kichen equipment, rather than railway :lol:

I meant to ask, are the photo's with the overhead power, the other railway served hospital in Vienna :?:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Steve,
as I recall they are the same Hospital,just an other location connected by the line.

Chris

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Ah, now you mention that, it does ignite a spark in the old memory.
I seem to recall, that the two hospitals are joined, or next to each other and the railways are two seperate systems. This is going back a few years though :roll: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm glad about the interest this railway raises among you ... :D

@Steve
Upright standing drivers are in THIS particular case not so imprtant for me ... :lol:

@Chris
I mentioned the white/silver/grey coloured waggons because I collected about 50 pictures in the meantime - and the colour of the waggons is always orange (like the locos) or they are monocrome pictures. So I wonder, when this pictue(s) with white/silver/grey coloured waggons was/were taken :?:

@Steve
There are/were - at least - shown two different hospitals: The one with the AEG + Struppe locos ist (re-)named Geriatriezentrum am Wienerwald (former Versorgungsheim Lainz), the other one must have been the former lunatic assylum Steinhof, Otto-Wagner-Spital:
http://www.feldbahn.at/fahrzeuge/elektrolokomotiven/steinhoflok.php

Apart from that there was another hospital in the neighbourhood of the Geriatriezentrum am Wienerwald, IIRC ...

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi all,

Did no one notice the brushes on the end of the two locos in the Adrian Foster photo? :shock:

Anybody know what they are there for?
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Cross Kitter wrote:Hi all,

Did no one notice the brushes on the end of the two locos in the Adrian Foster photo? :shock:

Anybody know what they are there for?

... simply "cleaning" the tracks if necessary - they are adjustable and can be lowered ...

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:59 pm

mad gerald wrote:@Steve
There are/were - at least - shown two different hospitals: The one with the AEG + Struppe locos ist (re-)named Geriatriezentrum am Wienerwald (former Versorgungsheim Lainz), the other one must have been the former lunatic assylum Steinhof, Otto-Wagner-Spital:
http://www.feldbahn.at/fahrzeuge/elektrolokomotiven/steinhoflok.php

Checked on Google maps and it appears that the 2 hospitals were in the same part of the city, but about 3km apart.

There may have been a link, but I would think not over that distance :?:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Geoffrey Tribe
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Tramways + Narrow Gauge + anything else on rails

Austrian NG Hospital Railways

Postby Geoffrey Tribe » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:35 pm

Another page on the site mentioned by Gerald shows several Austrian hospital lines http://www.feldbahn.at/sonderausstellun ... bahnen.php Three were in the Vienna area – the Geriatriezentrum Am Wienerwald and the Krankenhaus Lainz der Stadt Wien were I think adjacent to each other, there was also the entirely separate overhead electric line at Steinhof.

The NÖ-Landes-Nervenklinik Mauer-Öhling was a large mental hospital about 80 miles west of Vienna that opened in 1902. I have no details of when the rail system was discontinued but in the post war era it was used a barracks by the Russian occupying forces between 1945 & 1955.

Wandering well off-topic, the final system pictured in the link is the Gasteiner Heilstollen or Gastein healing cave. I think this is a former mine that has been transformed into a healing centre with the tunnel line used for patient transport. The German language website http://www.gasteiner-heilstollen.com/ has a section “Heilstollen-TV” with a five minute promotional video with several views of current operation on this underground line interspersed with interviews etc. The actual window is very small but it will blow up to full page at a fairly low but reasonable definition. This is a line I had not come across previously and would appear to give to opportunity for the transport of scantily clad figures.

The English option on the gasteiner website opens a PDF extolling the virtues of the radon and heat treatment on offer and includes a very diagrammatic map on page 6 (of 16).
Geoffrey Tribe

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:15 pm

Geoffrey Tribe wrote:Another page on the site mentioned by Gerald shows several Austrian hospital lines http://www.feldbahn.at/sonderausstellun ... bahnen.php Three were in the Vienna area – the Geriatriezentrum Am Wienerwald and the Krankenhaus Lainz der Stadt Wien were I think adjacent to each other, there was also the entirely separate overhead electric line at Steinhof.

That is correct: In the southern neighbourhood/at the southern border of the "Geriatriezentrum am Wiederwald" terrain was/is the hospital "Krankenhaus der Stadt Wien" and there had been a connection by track once, mainly for the common use of the mortuary of the "Krankenhaus der Stadt Wien". There was another separate track leading to a cemetary, which must have been the "Suedwestfriedhof" or even the "Zentralfriedhof". There was a modified waggon (about 1918) for the transport of corpses, of which a modell can be seen in the Wiener Bestattungsmuseum (Funeral Museum in Vienna) ...

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 am

Hi,

A Gn15 Hearse was one of my earliest contribution to this forum. I´d love to see a picture of the Austrian design:

[img][img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Kraehwinkle/Sargtransp51.jpg[/img][/img]

If I remember right, somebody intended to construct a Gn15 layout in a coffin a few years ago. One of the many projects in here which was never realised.

Have Fun

Juergen

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:10 pm

KEG wrote:If I remember right, somebody intended to construct a Gn15 layout in a coffin a few years ago. One of the many projects in here which was never realised.

Have Fun

Juergen

Hmm ... I was planning on cremation, but now I think I'll ask to be buried in a 10x12' room with a workbench and a variety of my unfinished modeling projects ... with an eternity at my disposal, perhaps I'll finish a few! :lol:

Of course, it'll be hard to get out and go to the hobby shop if I forget anything in my burial list! 8)

Townsfolk: Argh, It's a zombie!
Groundskeeper: Don't worry, he's just heading out for super glue. :wink:
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Return to “Modelling Matters”