(F) Ruggin Manor Peatworks

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

(F) Ruggin Manor Peatworks

Postby richard andrews » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to say my layout has appeared at long last in the Railway Modeller October issue. Hope those of you who are interested enjoy it. This is my first time posting on this web site as I am new to this computer lark.

Kind regards

Richard Andrews

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:02 am

Glad to see you worked out how to join in Richard, and I will look forward to seeing the article when the magazine comes out (next week?). I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it, but I don't think I have posted any pictures of your layouts on here, so for those that have not had the pleasure, here is a preview of what you can expect to see in the Railway Modeller:

Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:52 pm

I'm probably going to get in trouble with Richard for this. He turned up at the show today with a few items from his current layout project, so I had to take some snaps. First off we have a modified Sidelines van and an open wagon, look we even got one of Jim's tea-chests into the scene:

Even more impressive is this glimpse of one of the buildings for the new layout:

To really appreciate the quality of the modelling though, you need a BIG image, only just over 200kb, so shouldn't be too bad even on dial-up, click here:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/stephenbennett/purbeckstoreslge.jpg

Just look at that beautifully rendered brickwork.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby richard andrews » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:50 am

Thanks Steve for the pictures, something else I have got to do now, is write this!

The brickwork is DAS that has been scribed using dental tools from Squires tools. Also I used a small brass wire brush similar to a suede brush. Every time you do a little bit brush it along the horizontal mortar lines, when you are satisfied with the look of it and you have completed in full (takes several hours/days), it comes down to the painting, I used a selection of artist acrylic colour (Windsor&Newton) -- Cadmium Orange / Cadmium Red / Venetian Red / Raw Sienna / Burnt Sienna.

The book I used was called "Cottage Modelling for Pendon" by Chris Pilton, published by Wild Swan, ISBN0 906867 57 6; that also gives a good list of colours for brick and stone work.

Put dabs of colour onto a palatte, mix and match as you go along, paint stones and bricks randomly as this makes them stand out better, then colour wash with a mortar mix, watered down and wiped off before drying. Hope this helps, if not come back to me.

Richard

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:13 pm

I wasn't going to post this as I wasn't too happy with the photo, but what the heck, here is most of Richard's Purbeck Stores building, I have missed off part of the lean-to on the right of the pic:

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby richard andrews » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:55 pm

One thing I have forgotten to say, for brickwork I use the Terracota DAS and for stonework, I use the grey DAS.

If you want to model rendering with either brick or stone showing through
put a dab of DAS in the place you want it, let it go off, scribe it, then make up a mix of PVA glue and ready mixed plaster or tile grout into a creamy mixture and paint on, just covering the edges of the DAS.

When all is dry, paint the stone/brickwork and render to the colours you want.

Richard

p.s If you ask Steve nicely, he might show you some photos of my Wellington Boot Factory model.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:08 am

The Wellington Boot Factory you say Richard?, it will be a pleasure, I have kept this one quiet for far too long. In fact I can do better than that and include the original drawing from Peter Barnfield of the Steam Pencil on which the model is based, doesn't this just ooze inspiration.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:16 pm

That is a wonderful idea for hiding the exit from a layout, as soon as the artist showed me the drawing, I saw that straight away (as did Richard).

It is a shame that Peter's sketches seem to have dissappeared from the web, he did have a site and the drawings were often featured in AWnuts magazine, an online whimsical railway site which has also gone, they were full of great ideas for modelling.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:37 pm

I guess enough time has passed since the publication of the Railway Modeller article, to make it ok to post some more pics of Richards layout, so here ya go:

I hope these are not too big for dial-up users.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby richard andrews » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:53 am

If you look at the last photo Steve put on, the archway in the building was made so a loco could go through. I was going to use this for the exit, but after seeing Timmer Bricks & Pipes by Otto Schouwstra at Expo 2003, I decided they would look too much alike.

This is still a good way to exit a train, so maybe the next layout after Purbeck Quay.

Richard

Return to “Modelling Matters”