A toe in the water -- Schöma

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Corusman
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge in lots of sizes

A toe in the water -- Schöma

Postby Corusman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 pm

After enjoying Gnatterbox for nearly a year now, I though it about time I actually made something in Gn15. I had a Bachmann Gas Mechanical spare and decided to build a small diesel using mainly the scrap box for parts. I purchased the Sidelines cab, to get a feel for the loading gauge and added a bonnet from plasticard.

My inspiration was a Schöma diesel drawing that was published in Narrow Lines many years ago. I added Cambrian Models louvres, a Boulder Valley sand box, and an exhaust made of concentric MS brass tubing. The fuel tank followed details given by Zoange in the Gnatterbox.
The figure is a Preiser passenger who just about fits, although he does have a very worried expression. Perhaps he finds the cab a little claustrophobic.

So all I have to do now, is decide on a colour and pluck up courage to wield a paint brush.

Corusman
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge in lots of sizes

Postby Corusman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:19 am

I did paint the Schöma as the picture shows.

I started with a mucky cream for inside the cab and added muck and rust in thin washes at floor level, which I was pleased with. I brush painted the body in Humbrol blue which again came out reasonably well and adds a little Continental flavour. After that it was just picking out the details and there you have it.

I was pleased enough to copy the "livery" onto the Dragonfly I am currently building.

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Really nice.

I like the interior colour, suitably grubby near floor level. :D
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Return to “Modelling Matters”