Bachmann 0-6-0 tender conversion MG & FT No:12 "Poc

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Bachmann 0-6-0 tender conversion MG & FT No:12 "Poc

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:33 am

Dear fellow GN15 modellers,

Since moving over this side of the pond, it is easier to locate and purchase American models for my forays into engine designs for the Much Gnattering & Far Twaddle Light Railway.

I purchased a Bachmann 0-6-0 tender engine with a view to making another engine. First picture below:

This first view shows a plan with the wheel spacings and chassis size. From this a plan can be put together to check proportions/viability.

This view shows the loco body removed and the DCC decoder. I like the complex valve gear on this model. The engine will be called "Pocahontas" and I like the idea of when she moves, the valve gear and wheel movement will convey a beautiful and graceful feminine sort of wiggle. :oops: I spent many happy times at Gravesend and there is a statue of Pocahontas in a local chruchyard.

Progress so far with the GN15 body on the chassis. I have bitten the bullet and will make her as a tender engine, rather than taking the easy option by concealing the chassis/motor with side tanks. The curves on the tender make it too good not to use.

This view shows the "Whimsical Victorian Femine Engine Style" that I have chosen for "Pocahontas" - lots of panelling and curves. I think the sheet concealing the chassis will work, and the wood encased boiler will be a joy and challenge to paint. I have used some of Mike Rayner's excellent Smallbrook Studios parts, including a Nellie spectacle plate and Columbine dome to keep her in line with the rest of the MG & FT fleet. I promise one day to build somewhere to run them all on.

Thats all for now.
Kind regards
Mark

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Bachmann 0-6-0 tender conversion MG & FT No:12 "

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:42 am

Mark Goodwin wrote:I think the sheet concealing the chassis will work, and the wood encased boiler will be a joy and challenge to paint.

Possibly a bit late now the "modesty sheeting" is hiding the locos working bits, but large leaf springs above the footplate might have served the same purpose.

The cladding on the boiler should look wonderful, lovingly polished by her crew at every opportunity of course. 8)

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

Looking good Mark, I must admit I would have used wood for the cladding as I did for my VB Loco (still unfinished :oops: ) then there's no Gneed for paint just some wood finish or varnish.
Here's what it looks like, wood used was bamboo:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=47294#47294
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Postby Bob Roegge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Looking great Mark. Wish I had thought of the scalloped sheeting to cover the chassis when building my last little engine. I used the springs and another detail to disguise the chassis but it is not as effective.
Bob

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Bob (s) and Gerry,

Thanks for the kind comments - Gerry real bamboo looks fantastic, but I'm too late for that option.

A better photo showing proportions:

There will be an ornate chimney and some wire stays to hold it in place. Paint scheme will be a dark yellow. I'm undecided about whether to enlarge the cylinders so will have a play with this idea later. Back head detailing today, and then assembly of the cab (Spectale plate, incorporating back head, cab sides etc).
Kind regards
Mark

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Seeing this makes me inch to build one... Seems like a tough nut to crack for an Armchair modeler though!

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Tomo,

When I first saw what I had to work with, I found it a little daunting. However, nothing ventured - nothing gained. My advice is to have a go - it's quite good fun to have an idea and work it all through to the finished article. "Plasticard" is easy to work with and relatively cheap. I always find it useful to draw a sketch/outline of an idea. Let your creative side loose...........
Best wishes,
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 am

Latest update re "Pochontas" - a whimsical foray into GN15 using an American Bachmann HO chassis.

The tender design was inspired by the donor loco. I decided to go against the norm. and add a rounded barrel type of tender. The tender chassis is from Mike Rayner's "Smallbrook Studio" as are the remainder of the resin castings (Spectacle plate, dome, cab roof and buffer beams). I have yet to fit the name, number plates and "MG & FT" letters to the tender. More detail is also required in the cab together with some sandboxes and a tool box.

Final view. I'm looking at a yellow colour scheme, similar to the shade used on Stephenson's "Rocket".

The next views will be the painting process.
Kind regards
Mark

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:46 am

If you go with Rocket yellow the barrel tender will allude to the barrel which held Rocket's water, although twisted sideways - which is kind of what Gn15 does with a lot model railroading stereotypes and even norms.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:45 am

Nice work.

How did you get the cab roof to hold its wave shape?
Was it heated and bent over a fomer or something?
Thanks.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 am

Glen,

The cab roof consists of two of Mike Rayner's GN15 Nellie cab roof castings butt jointed together with superglue. The trick for a strong joint is to reinforce the sides using some "Evergreen" styrene "L" shape. This detail can be seen in the photos. The L shape gives a nice surface area for the glue to bond with the resin castings. I have used other methods in the past, and this is by far the best method.
Kind regards
Mark

SteampunkDave
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Steampunk, Victorian era, blimps, Gn15, scenery

Postby SteampunkDave » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:14 am

Mark. I am following your progress with interest. This is my sort of model.
Dave

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Dear fellow GN15 modellers,

Some pictures of "Pocahontas" before she hits the paint shop.

Cab detailing, cast number plates, tool box and the "MG & FT" plate added to the tender. I had a go at casting some polyurethane resin to make the cab number plates and the "MG & FT" cast plate on the tender.

better view of the cab interior.

Front 3/4 view. She will be primed using the "Vallejo" Polyurethane acrylic primer, specifically designed for neat application via an air brush or by hand brushing. It's good for all surfaces and is tough. It now comes in a number of interesting shades, so in theory, priming and base coating could be done in a single application. He is a non sponsored link to a good reliable UK supplier, for those interested.

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/products/vall ... ishes.html

Kind regards,
Mark

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:50 pm

G'day Mark

Love the way that "Pocahontas" is progressing.

You have captured the spirit of Emett beautifully.

It is indeed a "Thing" that I believe the great man himself would find delightful.

Can't wait to see it in its final paint job.

Keep up the good work

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Pocahontas complete

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:18 am

Here are some views of this GN15 conversion from a Bachmann HO 0-6-0

This front end lower view shows the "beefed up" cylinders. The originals would have been OK, but there was room under the chassis to enlarge them. The varnished wood bioler finish can bee seen in a bit more detail.

Side profile showing some of the cab detail. This has just reminded me that I have to add a whistle chain and some polished copper pipework (Doh!)

Final front side view. Thanks to Mike Rayner of "Smallbrook Studios" who supplied the following resin parts:
Front buffer beam, spectacle plate and glazing bars, dome, tool box, chimney (made from part Nellie casting and lamp casting), cab roof, whistle, loco lamps and tender chassis. The rest is scratch built from styrene sheet. (11th Dec - Albert R.N. - thanks for the inspiration- SDBB :roll: :D ).

Now, it's about time I started to make somewhere to run these "things".
Kind regards
Mark

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:45 pm

interesting seeing this again because it shows the Bachmann chassis. I had assumed motor went back into cab, which is a pity for some potential conversions. On comparing the tank and tender versions I note valve gear is different. Will need to get my ruler out next time I see one to see if it will fit.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Simon,

There appears to be two different types of valve gear on the Bachmann 0-6-0 chassis. One is simple, and the other - as used here - looks more complex and better in my opinion. This is NOT the 0-6-0 chassis used on their "Spectrum" saddle tank.

The models are reasonably priced and available, which helps.
Best wishes,
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Simon,

Links to suppliers and showing valve gear difference:

When I lived in the U.K. I used to buy my Bachmann models from "The Favourite Spot" shown in the link below. Even with customs and postage, the cost was always good value.

Simple version:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bachmann-HO-Scal ... 2c6a453b9e

What looks to be the same model in a different livery, but compare the valve gear.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HO-SCALE-MODEL-R ... 3a7a9ca363

I presume that both chassis are similar.

Hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Simon,

Just to complicate matters, here's one that is the same livery as the grey one in the first link, but with the more detailed valve gear.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HO-SCALE-TRAINS- ... 4cf973828e

Medication time !
Cheers!
Mark

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:44 am

and then the tank version is also different, and probably closer to the loco I might build.
Still puzzles me why they put the motor at back when they could so easily have put in further forward as in many of their British locos. Possibly weight distribution, but can't see any other reason.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:57 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:Still puzzles me why they put the motor at back when they could so easily have put in further forward as in many of their British locos. Possibly weight distribution, but can't see any other reason.
I've lived here all my 49 years and can't say for sure. May be holdover from days where larger open frame motors had to fit in cabs.
But, weight distribution, yeah, motor is rather lighter than solid chunk of metal right over drivers. Also, general model design dates back to late 1970s early 1980s, that may have something to to with it.

Now she needs a coach to pull - named Hauntus Pecos.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Modelling Matters”