Cardboard Train

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Ian Roberts
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

Cardboard Train

Postby Ian Roberts » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:56 pm

This is my entry for the cardboard train competition at the recent Arundel exhibition. It won joint first prize (out of a field of three!)
Anyway, the rules were to build an entire train, any scale or prototype, largely from card. I chose to model a Lister diesel rail truck and assorted Heywoods stock, from various of his railways, plus a mining tub. Marshalled together they would represent an exhibition goods train on a 15 in gauge railway.
Firstly, then, the train;

And a close-up of the Lister

Here is the unpainted Lister. The red parts are from file card. The white parts are from mounting card. For the engine and tanks I glue several layers together then carve and sand them to shape.

Knobs and filler caps are from hole punchings glued together. The gear lever and pedestals are from paper wrapped around card.

The underview shows the non card parts - a Tenshodo bogie and offcuts of G Scale track encased in card to give weight.

Lastly the lifting eyes, visible on the completed model, are punchings from mounting card. I find coating such parts with runny superglue makes them as hard as plastic.
Ian

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:23 pm

The Lister is very impressive Ian, having built one in styrene I can appreciate the work that has gone into it, and the complexity of some of the shapes.

The RM looks good too!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:48 am

That is a very impressive piece of modelling skill indeed Ian. I must try and get to a show that you attend with your layout one day as I'd love to see your card modelling "in the flesh" so to speak.

Thanks for sharing

Mick

Return to “Modelling Matters”