Sidelines Ant meets Underground Ernie

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Sidelines Ant meets Underground Ernie

Postby backwaterscotland » Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Folks,
Looking around for another loco for my layout I came across the sidelines Ant/Titch kit which appealed but being a thrifty Scot I wanted to use an underground ernie chassis I had already rather than the specified Tenshodo.

After an email discussion with Steve, I decided to try fitting the UE chassis and Steve asked if I would document it so here goes :D

Lets start with what comes with the kit :

Basic chassis with excess wiring removed :

The modifications needed to the underframe moulding consist of two notches shown here in black - I filed them out until the motor was a clip fit

Chassis test fitted

Modified chassis - sideframes removed but the side clips retained to keep the pickups in place

Modified chassis test fitted

Now we come to the first issue - the UE chassis picks up from the axle ends so I filed slots into the sideframes behind the axleboxes using a square file, taking out a little out each time until it fits. To keep the chassis/body level I used the pieces supplied to fit the tenshodo - one was notched to fit the chassis as can be seen and the other was cut to 5mm long and fitted to the other end. A 30 thou plasticard pad fitted can be seen as well.

Sideframes fitted

Next up, body modification.

Andy 8)
Last edited by backwaterscotland on Wed May 02, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Ok, to the body.

The first hitch is that the motor mounting clip gets in the way of the bonnet, no matter which way round it is :shock:

But, changing the body parts order and moving the whole lot 2mm back allows space for the motor mount to fit.

From left to right, radiator, bonnet (opposite way round from instructions), Bonnet backplate, seat housing. The metal that can be seen is some large chunks of lead sheet to give some weight.

The rest of the construction is as per the instructions and you should end up with something like this :

The only filing required was between the underframe and the seat housing where there was a small gap as can be seen in the last photo. The only downside of moving the whole radiator/bonnet/seat back 2mm is that the backplate can't be fitted but I can live with that :D

Hopefully this is understandable and might inspire others to have a go. I'll put some pictures of the finished loco up once I get it painted.

Andy 8)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Nicely done Andy.
Must admit when you first suggested it, I thought you were Gnuts trying to fit it into what is the smallest loco I do in Gn15, but seeing how little modification you had to make, I'm now very tempted myself :wink:
Just need to find an Ernie now :roll:
Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together, I know how long it must have taken and hope there are others who will also find it useful.

For everybody else, the underframe that is used here is different from the original Sidelines Ant kit which would have been more difficult to modify to fit on the Ernie bogie.
All kits in future will have this new type of underframe, which has the advantage of being suitable for both a 24.5mm W/B Tenshodo power bogie for 16.5mm gauge, or a Kato 11-103 for use with 9mm gauge, in unmodified form.
The underframe is also available as a seperate item and can be found in the Gnine section HERE
Apologies for the marketing, it's me trying to be informative :wink:
Last edited by Steve Bennett on Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey, neat project :)
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Thu May 03, 2012 6:57 pm

The finished loco :

This is a nice, easy kit to put together, even with the modifications I made and build up to a good looking and compact loco.

Andy 8)

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 pm

It's tiny! Even has room for the chip!

Great work.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks for the plug Andy :lol: I like the colour too.
Should look good working around the distillery yard and will make your Simplex look big, that takes some doing :D
I'm curious though, why did you leave the footplate off :?:
It does actually look fine without it and not an option that I had thought of, so just wondering.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby backwaterscotland » Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 am

Steve Bennett wrote:I'm curious though, why did you leave the footplate off :?:
It does actually look fine without it and not an option that I had thought of, so just wondering.

Doh! :oops:

This is what happens when you are building a loco on the demo stand at a show and aren't really following the instructions. Does explain the gap I had to fill though. It's a bit late to fit it now but I doubt anyone will notice :D

I'll post a photo later of the Ant and Simplex together - the Ant does look tiny!

Andy 8)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri May 04, 2012 3:23 pm

backwaterscotland wrote:This is what happens when you are building a loco on the demo stand at a show......

:lol: That I can totally relate to, it's very easy to get distracted while doing demonstrations. At least it wasn't a disaster and as I said above, I actually like it and will probably try it myself.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”