New Critters

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

New Critters

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 pm

I had the opportunity to display Ironhorse Vineyards, Strawberry Mountain and Rocky Creek layouts at a model show near Ames, Iowa this past weekend. It was very rewarding as I met several people genuinely interested in GN15 and Gnine models. Unusual in this part of the country. Many find the layouts interesting but American prototype railroads are the primary interest. I was surprized at the number of people who brought up Carl Arendt's web site. This is the first time I have run into anyone that was familiar with his work. None of the folks had ever seen a GN15/Gnine layout in person and so the exchange was great.

I have decided to begin another layout to be built this winter. I will post on it's construction in the near future. It will be a two piece module about 9' long and 18" deep.

Most recently I built a small critter based on one built by Ian Thompson. I saw pictures and could not resist making one of my own. I had an N gauge Plymouth and thus it was built as a Gnine. I ordered Schomberg models "Red" to drive it.

At the train show I found a new Bachmann HO gauge GE 44 Tonner which of course yielded two power trucks so now I am building a GN15 version.

Bottom view

Comparison shows that GE44 Ton mechanism is taller but overall smaller than Plymouth. I added lead weight to bring the overall weight to 3 1/2 ounces and it runs quite well and reasonably slow.

Bob

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Excellent critter Bob, nice and grimy too...just how it should be!
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Wow Bob. Your critter looks great.

That 44 tonner bogie looks in good condition for second hand. Note for new members: these 44 tonner bogies are only found in the old model Bachmann 44 tonner center cab diesel shunter.
The old models have one complete drive at each end which can be seperated to buld two complete locos.
The new ones have one centre mounted motor which drives both bogies.

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Glen, The GE44 Ton model was new in box. I found a vendor with many in stock. Thanks for pointing out that only the older style have two powered bogeys.

Details are finished and the model is now in the paint shop........

Bob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:57 am

Quick trip through paint shop....

Bob

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 am

Very nice Bob, have always been tempted to try one in Ian's style, but dont think I have the skill to make it work. Now you go and put more temptation up here :lol:

I'm curious about the Plymouth chassis too, is that one of the Model Power ones, or an early Bachmann :?:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Very nice Bob, have always been tempted to try one in Ian's style, but dont think I have the skill to make it work. Now you go and put more temptation up here :lol:

I'm curious about the Plymouth chassis too, is that one of the Model Power ones, or an early Bachmann :?:

Steve,
I wish I had the skill and patience to build as well as Ian!

The Plymouth is a Bachmann N scale . They run quite well considering the size. I find that during a show where I run them continuously they tend to start slowing after about six hours of operation and require the comutator to be cleaned. Takes a couple minutes with a cue tip and electrical cleaner fluid. My mechanisms are just pressed into frame so there is no effort involved in removing them for maintenance. At the last show I ran one from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM without a hitch.
Bob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Have now had an opportunity to run the little critter for about an hour of continuous operation and can report that I am very pleased with the Bachmann GE44 Ton power truck. It is smooth and runs very slow with a smooth startup.

GN15 critter on the left and Gnine on right.

Now waiting on the little people.
Bob

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 am

Lovely looking models, and they compliment the background of your layout so well in that photo.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 am

Pretty neat. Like how seat adjusting mechanism is included.
So, how much Quaker State does that one go through in a week?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:21 am

Schomberg Models sent me "Red" engineer the new little critter. He came a little formally dressed. After shedding his necktie he seems more comfortable on the engine.

Being a little chunky, it appears that he has split the seat open exposing the padding.

Bob

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:58 am

He looks right at home sitting on the engine.
He fits so well, you'd amost think that he was there first and you had built the engine to fit him.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 am

Excellently suited to the loco, as Glen says, it could have been made specially for him.

Bob Roegge wrote:Being a little chunky, it appears that he has split the seat open exposing the padding.

It looks as if he's banged his head on the roof more than once too. Is that a tin of beer on the loco's frame? :shock:

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 pm

I had a good idea on the dimensions necessary to fit Red. I was very close but did have to modify the seat cushion a little for a proper fit. That is how the split in cushion and stuffing coming out came about.

Did not think about a beer tin. It is actually a motor oil tin. Darn! Not sure about the roof. His bald head does not show any abrasions but of course it could be his baldness comes from rubbing on the roof.

Bob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Loaded a short video of critter....

http://youtu.be/3hBSd0J_04I
Bob

Robert Leach
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railways and plastic model kits

Postby Robert Leach » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:04 am

The construction, painting and detail in your models is exceptional, Bob. I need to have a go at "rusting up" one of my future models!
Rob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:53 am

Start of the next layout is getting close. I have decided on a 18" x 108" display layout that will be made in two modules 18" x 54". Size is based on what my car will carry. Concept will be a seaside village with a boat moored in the harbour served by a light railway. I plan on a small switching track plan with a runaround capability. It will have the ability to have two trains running and for display purposes I will use circuits to have trains run back and forth with a delay at each end.

Since the moored boat will be in the front it will be a prominent item. I built the boat first to have a sense of the size. I scratch built it from cardstock using images of wooden fishing boats on the web. It measures 17" long, 6" wide and 13 1/2" high.

I have cut the wood for the frame and will assemble it tomorrow. As soon as I pick a name for the layout I will begin a thread to follow the construction.
Bob

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:06 am

Good looking boat 8)
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Great looking boat.
Is the boat going to have a name painted at the front?
And do they have the place of registration across the back - or is that just the large ones?

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 pm

G'day Bob
Like the boat ___ but I like most boats.
Further to Glen's thoughts could you name it 'Orca' and add teeth marks in the transom.
You could also add some yellow barrels on the fore deck and a flying bridge over the existing structure.
Or is that getting just a bit too stupid ???

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:13 pm

The boat registration and name were added today along with some additional details. Named Mary Ann after my wife. Pretty smart move, I think.

Have the new layout framed and 2" foam top installed. Will begin laying out the track plan next.

Look for a new thread soon.
Bob

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Bob Roegge wrote: Look for a new thread soon.

I'll be looking :D

Excellent boat Bob, looking forward to seeing it on the layout 8)
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Return to “Modelling Matters”