Terry Stanhope's 15" line and related

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Terry Stanhope's 15" line and related

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Unfortunately the thread that featured some of the late Terry Stanhope's stuff (including a bunch of info on Arthington Gasworks) has gone in 'the great clear up', so time to resurrect it, hopefully bigger and better! :D

At least I have the photos, as they are in Photobucket, although the captions have gone too. I was given them by someone who I seem to recall is not a Gnatterboxer, but who spotted (or was told) about the original thread and very kindly provided them for our delight. I wish I could remember who it was! But knowing the Gnatterbox we'll soon be filling in the gaps.

I note that he also built the first incarnation of Mordred, now 10 1/4" gauge on the Rudyard Lake Railway, way back in 1969

http://www.rlsr.org/Mordred.htm

cheers,
Last edited by chris stockdale on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:53 pm

I seem to remember that there was something about the standard gauge triangle junction at Arthington, now no longer in use but visible from the air as seen here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=arthing ... k&t=h&z=17

as being where the 15" line was located.

cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Aha!

I now have the connection with Terry and the Gasworks/Triangle.

Here is a quote taken from this page:

http://www.jsbmodelrestorations.com/?page_id=868

'The history of the Ilkley railway is as follows; Local enthusiast Terry Stanhope originally ran it as the Olicana Railway using an 0-4-0 petrol hydraulic steam outline locomotive. In the late 1970’s / early 80’s Terry acquired a lease on the old North Eastern Railway gas works in the triangle of the old Arthington Station. He wanted to relinquish responsibility for the Olicana Railway and offered a lease to the YDRMT which was accepted. The railway was run primarily by Dr. Fred Youell and generated a reasonable income. Eventually as operations developed at Embsay after the granting of the Light Railway Order it was decided to give up the lease and at this point Terry Stanhope closed the railway.'

cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 am

Apparently Andrew Neale (the bookseller and owner of a number of 15" and 24" locos and stock) knew the Terry and the line so I will be getting in touch with him. Meanwhile I have tracked down another photo. Pop over to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31449088@N08/3020412926/

cheers,

Neill Clayton
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: portable railways, Hudson, Decauville, Koppel, Lister, Greenbat, very small locos., sewage, peat, quarry, light industrial railways, etc.

Re: Terry Stanhope's 15" line and related

Postby Neill Clayton » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Terry Stanhope's diesel loco from his 15" Arthington Gasworks line is still here at Ripon Light Railway. He incorporated lots of "found" objects including original Lister running gear from one of Dingo's (15" Fairbourne) bogies. We bought it from Jeremy Martin who had intended a 15" line, before he built the 2' Richmond Light Railway. Jeremy bought it from Brian Gent. Brian bought it from the Cleethorpes Coast. Terry only sold it to Cleethorpes because he was very short of money at that particular time. We bought it in a dismantled condition, and it is our next project.

Return to “Prototype Prattles”